I always cringe when I read those blog posts when people come back after long unexplained absences, all apologies and awkward empty promises. So I'm not going to do that. I will tell you that I have a super overwhelming new job (but no I'm not done with my degree yet! still working!), which is why I've been capable of little more than laying flat on my back on the couch. Fortunately, I am capable of knitting while in this position. So I have something to share with you today, and it is GOOD.
Knitters, meet my new brightly colored Hiro. The temperatures just dropped a bit in Chicago, this sucker is finally dry (after days and days of agonizing waiting), and I'm pretty much not removing this sweater until spring. It's true love, me and this sweater. The pattern is by Julia Farwell-Clay, and I LOVE IT. Colorwork yoke sweaters are one of my most favorite things ever, and boy is this a great one. The pattern works great as-is, but it's eminently customizable. (is that a word? you get what I mean.) I did things almost exactly as written, except that I wanted a more snug fit than the samples have on Julia - just personal preference - so I summoned my inner Amy Herzog and knit a sweater to fit my upper bust measurement-36". The pattern shaping still suited my proportions around the waist and hips. Once I got above the bust though, I decreased to the smallest size for the yoke, because I apparently have the freak shoulders of a small child. The most thrilling part of the pattern for me is the generous quantity of short rows at the back of the neck above the yoke. I've learned from other sweaters I've made, especially yoked sweaters, that these short rows are a must on me. As much as I love my Orange Pop, it drives me NUTS that there aren't short rows on the back of the neck. It really does make for a much better fit.
The only major-ish modification I made to the pattern (besides knitting something more close-fitting, if you can call that a mod) was to adjust the sleeve length. I love a super warm sweater with 3/4 length sleeves. Sometimes full sleeves make me feel constricted - insane, I know. So I cast on a few more sts for my sleeves - 48 sts instead of the 36 that are called for -, worked through the sleeve chart before I started increasing, and then increased at a slower rate, until I reached the total number of sleeve sts called for. Then I just worked straight, slipping the sleeve onto my arm as I went to judge approximate length.
As for yarn, I wanted to go kind of lopi-esque here and try working with a single ply - something I don't normally do. This is good old Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride, which I always love working with. That is a great, durable, salt of the earth yarn. They do have a few colors that have kind of a semi-solid look to them, like this red - something Carolyn pointed out to me years ago, for which I've always been grateful.